Thursday

STARTING OUT

After studying a BA Graphic Design degree at Camberwell, what did you do next? how did you get into industry? (Claire Cottam )


I had been freelancing throughout my time at Camberwell so I just continued doing that. Only this time I had more time to work on projects and actively seek and create the projects I wanted to work on.



Should I do a freelance job for a low price because I am a beginner in freelancing? (Archana Pat)


Yes definitely. I worked ( and I still work for free = if its for a good cause), then I slowly built my budgets up. Now they are at a much higher rate, as its proportional to my (little) time, and the demand for my work.

Do you think it’s a good idea to specify what type of work you are prepared to do, or should you leave it broad? (Matthew Murphy)

Specify what you can do, if that is broad then thats awesome. If not, it doesn't matter. Never say you can do something you aren't confident you can do.

When do you realise this was what you wanted to do full-time? (Rory Mackie)

since i was about 15. All this work started to snowball, and now it really is my career! It all started with just a few jobs, for friends bands and record labels, who let me work for free. i guess i owe it all to them. the most important thing is that even 3 years on, i have kept those ties, i still work with caius, from young turks, as well all matty from white heat to mention a few.

After studying a BA Graphic Design degree at Camberwell, what did you do next? how did you get into industry? (Charlotte Cottam)

I had been freelancing throughout my time at Camberwell so I just continued doing that. Only this time I had more time to work on projects and actively seek and create the projects I wanted to work on.