Thursday

TOOLS + TECHNIQUES

Any special techniques you use in your work? Or how are you trying to pioneer the field of illustration / design?

No technique is special, I love working in every field in every way. I am happy to commission work, or get hands on and do it myself. My challenge is to be a jack of all trades, and a master of SOME!


Do you think you work better during the day or night? (Lana Hughes)


I used to work better in the night, but I switched my body clock around so now I work better in the day - when everyone I work for is awake, and therefor much more practical.


Do you have a favourite piece of equipment you use? (Lana Hughes)


Pens - glorious pens, all sizes and shapes and colours.


A lot of your work is largely geometric and cartoon-style. Have you or would you ever move towards realism in your work? (Emma Twine)


No way. I am rubbish at that. I did that when I was at school, I was ok at drawing still lives and people. I was always told that that was how you had to draw. "Draw what you see, not what you know". Now I just like to spill my brain out onto the page.


What new skills do you need to learn to be able to fly solo? (Simone Baird)


Determination, organisation, brazen confidence, and a good work ethic.

What markers do you find are the best for drawing/illustrating? (Zara Arshad)

I like using thick felt nibs like sharpies and sign pens as i feel they render better digitally, and I also press quite hard when I draw so ballpoints or drawing fiber nibbed pens just go blunt or bent. For murals I use Posca Markers, made by UNI they are Paint Pens, and are totally amazing, though you are limited by the number of colours and thicknesses.

I've seen some photos where you've drawn straight onto things like windows, caps etc. and was wondering how you get your lines so straight? Do you use some sort of grid or does it just...come natural after so much experience? (Zara Arshad)

No grids, or rules, just lots of practice, and a steady hand!

I was quite interested in finding out how you computerised your hand-drawn works (if you do). Do you draw by hand, scan and then re-create your drawing in Illustrator? (Zara Arshad)

I draw and then scan or photograph high res (depending on the size or if a have a scanner to hand. I retrace in illustrator or use live trace, or if the image is clean I will work with it directly in photoshop.

Pencil VS Mouse: Are you a hands on girl or do u you find yourself
itching for the Mac? (William Ricketts)

I love both, they need each other, and it makes my job more interesting bouncing between the two.

I am interested in finding out how different creative people go about making their work, for example, what is the first thing you do when working on a new project or brief? (Kirsten Cowie)

First thing I do its get started. After talking to the client, probing them with questions I just like to get something down on paper or on screen.

Would you ever consider moving your work into 3D?

Yes I have for a few projects now, I love working with objects, and building things. I think its just a question of getting more projects that me allow me to experiment more with product design and making 3D elements.

A lot of your work is largely geometric and cartoon-style. Have you or would you ever move towards realism in your work?

No way. I am rubbish at that. I did that when I was at school, I was ok at drawing still lives and people. I was always told that that was how you had to draw. "Draw what you see, not what you know". Now I just like to spill my brain out onto the page.